It was the Infanta Sancha Raimúndez, Alfonso VII of León’s sister, who founded the monastery in 1128. Her aim was none other than to introduce the Cistercian order in the kingdom and, for this reason, it is the oldest foundation of the female branch of this order. For this reason, its first inhabitants were French nuns.
The church is one of the best-preserved parts of the Mudejar style building. In it you can appreciate the primitive 12th century nave, with its simple vault, its frieze alluding to the Holy Spirit and a set of baroque plasterworks from the 17th century. The entrance door, although newly built, respects the original location and its flat archivolts with handmade bricks, follow the technique of the Mudejars of the time.
The cloister, on the other hand, has been converted into an area of mineral-medicinal thermal water pools and its ancient granite columns support the "Patio Porticado" (porticoed courtyard) of the cafeteria.
In 1950, the convent’s congregation ascribed to the Trappist branch, within the Cistercian order, and became dependent on the Monastery of San Isidro de Dueñas at least until 1956, when the community moved to the Monastery of Nuestra Señora de Alconada, in the province of Salamanca.
Castilla Termal built this four-star spa complex in 2005, consisting of three buildings that combine the uniqueness of Mudejar architecture with two fully integrated modern buildings on top of the old convent, taking advantage of these preserved areas.